I walk the line: A true American classic.

A few months ago I signed up for a MySpace.com account. As I was searching for people, who I know, to increase my personal networks, I came across Don Henderson's (I know him from church) MySpace page. Don has Johnny Cash's "I walk the line" song on his MySpace.com page. It was the first time I heard the song and I really liked it. Unlike Edith Piaf's song, I believe most of you will agree that Johnny Cash's song, "I walk the line" is quite good. Anyway here is a little bit more about the song. According to Wikipedia, the song was written by Johnny Cash and recorded in 1956. This was Johnny Cash's first number one hit and I believe it is a classic. The rthym is based on "boom-chicka-boom" or "freight train" rthym style which is common in Johnny Cash's songs. I got the lyrics for "I walk the line" song from LyricsOnDemand.com

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I find it very, very easy to be true
I find myself alone when each day is through
Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine, I walk the line

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I walk the line

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the ends out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I walk the line

Since I wanted to write about this song on my blog, I researched the song on YouTube.com. Here are the videos and an explanation for each video:

Johnny Cash's Performances

Earliest Video

This is the earliest video where Johnny Cash sings the song in a Tennessee Ranch background. Please notice how nervous and young Johnny Cash looks. It was sung sometime between 1956 and 1957.



1959 Video
This is a video taken in 1959. I feel this song was sung a lot slower.



1961 Video
This is a video taken in 1961. Johnny Cash looks more confident when he sings this song.



Performance at San Quentin
This video was taken when Johnny Cash performed at the San Quentin Prison.



Latest Performance I found on YouTube.com
This looks like the most recent performance Johnny Cash did on TNN.



Seems to be one of his last performances
This is Johnny Cash at the Carter Family Fold July 5th 2003..



While I researching the song on YouTube.com, I came across various performances based on the song.

Dedications to Johnny Cash via his hit song "I walk the line".

Piano Rendition
I really like this rendition since it is slow and beautiful. It also shows Johnny Cash's life in still pictures.



Dwight Yokum Rendition
Country rendition of "I walk the line". I believe this fits Johnny Cash's vision when he wrote the song.



Bruce Springsteen Rendition
This is okay rendition. I personally think it is too slow. I believe Bruce could have done better.



The group "Live"'s Rendition
I like this version of the song. Live gives it a modern twist to the song.



American Idol Singer's Rendition
This is my favorite version of song. Chris Daughtry does a better job on the Live version of the song.



This version is terrible. I never watched the whole thing but I thought it would be appropriate since this blog entry covers various attempts on an american classic. This version simply butcher's an American classic.



And finally I want to close with a Levi commerical. After listening to all these videos, it made me realize people might improve it or think they are improving it but in reality "I walk the line" was a classic when Johnny Cash sang it. The song talks about the depression times and basically tough life. Hopefully you liked reading and watching the blog entry.

Comments

Enoch Moses said…
Okay the second last video wasn't about "I walk the line". It still stunk!
Enoch, you really did a lot of research. i am impressed. I think my fave was the TNN performance. ALso, there were unfortunately some technical problems when i tried to view everything after dwight yoakam (no sound and the last video had a copyright issue). good job on this post. i think johnny cash was pretty cool too. take care.
Sr. Fab said…
That was great blog about Johnny Cash. I have been a big fan ever since I bought the San Quentin CD about 5 years ago. Everytime I hear it, it feels like he a a real family man with June Carter there and their kids coming on the sing with him.

I recently bought the CD called Walk the Line. I recommend it. Gramps

Popular posts from this blog

A Eulogy for my grandmother

Kashmiri memories

Looking Overseas and Beyond