In God We Trust

(Please install Google Earth before you click on couple of the links - Thanks)

Today I updated my Google Earth desktop client and then I decided to surf the world. I first went to view the Pyramids in Egypt and then surfed other places in northeastern Africa and Sudan. I then went to Libya and clicked on a National Geographic Flash movie on Libya. After watching the video, I was reminded of my days when I grew up in Libya. I was in Libya from 1978 to 1981 and afterwhich I use to visit my parents every summer and winter till 1984. We use to live in a town called Al Bayda.

Anyway here are somethings I remember:
  • Seeing my first snow fall there
  • The days when we didn't could find anything grocery stores and waited in lines to buy rationed foods.
  • Getting stopped at every 15 km by young Libyan soldiers with machine guns pointing my dad and asking for our "papers.
  • Listening to Ghaddafi speaks for hours in Arabic to the youth (mind you I didn't understand a word)
  • Asked to keep my comments to myself regarding the Libyan leader.
Overall I don't have terrible memories but they weren't most pleasant of memories either. However I do appreciate being in the US and its privileges. I, now, being a US citizen, married to a beautiful American and having wonderful children; appreciate America, its history, its philosopy, its values and most importantly its core foundation based in Christ. As an evangelist, I appreciate America and I am honored to raise my kids in a society where freedom is valued and God is part of the social fabric. I want my kids to know that we trust in God as it says on our coins, "In God we trust."

Comments

Sr. Fab said…
Wow Enoch. I know so little about the places you grew up in. It's interesting to find out what a broad experience you had growing up.
Gramps.

Popular posts from this blog

A Eulogy for my grandmother

Kashmiri memories

Looking Overseas and Beyond