At peace with Computer Science


For the last few weeks and months, I have finally decided what I want to do with my career. I am happy with my decision. For the past years, I was at a crossroads with my career. I enjoyed writing java software, XML schemas, database work and others however I felt that I was not getting a chance to implement my ideas.

Recently I have been reading Google employees' white papers and just researching new technologies, new methodologies and new ideas. It has been a long time since I have been passionate about something. I realized that I can actually use my undergraduate training, which I gained when I got my B.S. Chemistry from University of Kansas (KU). The ability to do experiments, apply statistical methods to create math functions, writing white papers. I have always been a fan of theory and a study in abstract topics. At KU, my favorite chemistry class was Quantum Chemistry where we constantly proved complex math equations for abstract theories. I also enjoy math like calculus, and differential equations.

I have thought of going back and getting a PhD in Chemistry but I have not worked in that domain for the last eight years. I have thought of getting an MBA, a Medical degree to be a doctor, or just start a business but in the end they really don't appeal to me. I am not passionate of anyone of the areas. I can be good since I am a hard worker but in the end it is not something I would truly enjoy. The other thing I enjoy is Sports but in terms of a career there doesn't seem to have a lasting satisfaction. My co-workers have told me that I tend to bounce around with what I want to do with my career but in the end (after seriously thinking and praying about it) I wouldn't mind being a computer scientist. Now I have to take the next step. Contact grad schools!

Comments

Michelle said…
I like the video. Especially the ("I hate glass" line)

You know I'm behind you 100% whatever you choose.

Popular posts from this blog

A Eulogy for my grandmother

Kashmiri memories

Looking Overseas and Beyond