A commonality

As I was listening to the Sunday School today from the book of Joshua, I was struck that everyone in the room loves Jesus Christ. In our meeting, we have toddlers like my daughter Patricia, who is almost 1 year old, to Brother Garnes who is in his mid-nineties. We have East Indians, like myself, Palestinians, Americans, like my wife Michelle, West Africans, Chinese, Caribbean folks, a Armenian and a Romanian. We are a mini United Nations (UN). Unlike the UN where nothing significant is accomplished, we as believers fellowship in Christ. We are also united in Christ.

I was thinking about Br. Garnes. He has lived through World War I, II, Korean War, Vietnam War and the Gulf war. He may not understand today's generation and how they think or how they dress. He may not know what a blog is or what is so special about Facebook.com. I don't know how people thought during World War I, II and the other wars. Yes I can get a feel for it by reading history books. I might know the facts and details about the 1929 Depression but I never lived in the US during that time. Br. Garnes lived in New York City during the Great Depression. He may have been a child but he knows what his parents and their friends talked and feared about. However whenever Br. Garnes and I talk about the Bible and our Precious Savior, we both get excited since we know Christ and His Word. Christ has never changed and he will never change and His Word is constant. Even though Br. Garnes and I might have grown up in different generations, we share a commonality which is Jesus Christ. I pray that my children including Patricia may share the same excitement when we talk about Christ and His Word. My children and I have a common gene pool but I pray that we share the commonality of Christ in our lives.

Comments

Michelle said…
The thought of being "one" in Christ Jesus is pretty unfathomable.

Popular posts from this blog

A Eulogy for my grandmother

Kashmiri memories

Looking Overseas and Beyond