Making on money from your blog

Ah! The question that has come across every blogger's mind, "Am I wasting my time by writing an online journal or can I make money of this habit?" The truth is that you can money of your blogging habit however you cannot make a living of it. I have been blogging for almost six months and my wife has been blogging on blogger for couple of months. So far we have made a whopping $2.46 from adwords on our blogs. As you can see, it is quite pathetic! You do get paid more if more people read your blog. Here are certain things I have learnt so far about making your blog more visible (and maybe profitable):
  1. Remember to blog as often as you can. According to Technorati.com, Boing Boing: A Directory of Wonderful Things is the most popular blog. Boing Boing bloggers add around twenty five entries a day. That is alot. I personally don't have that time but refresh content means more people will read your blog.
  2. Add creative and numerous metadata labels to your blog entries. Most of my audience comes from search engines like Technorati which place your blog entry for the appropriate query which could be a metadata label.
  3. Monitor your blog for which blog entries are popular and which ones are not. I use Google Analytics to monitor my blog. My most visible and popular blog entry was on a Spam email I got.
  4. Don't blog about things you don't know or don't care about. I usually blog about things I enjoy. It would most likely attract people who care about things you care about.
  5. Ask your friends to link their blog to yours. This way you can have more exposure via your friends' blogs. Link to my blog if you like me :)
  6. Categorize your blog entries. There are blogging tools which let your categorize your blog entries with respect to their metadata.
  7. Monitor email subscriptions - If you can, you should monitor who is subscribing to your blog entries.
  8. Add Google adsense - It makes you want to write good content so that you can capture a bigger audience. A bigger audience means more money from Google Adwords.
Hopefully this is enough information for you to continue blogging.

Comments

Gláucia Mir said…
Thaks for the info Enoch.
I'm glad you guys and Fab have made some money from the ads, but personally, I'd like to continue to be ad ad-free blog. A large part due to aesthetics, or course.
I do like to find out about who is reading my blog, so I will check into Google analytics. thanks for linking to me. I will add you to my blogroll as well.

Popular posts from this blog

A Eulogy for my grandmother

Kashmiri memories

Looking Overseas and Beyond