A distinct memory

As I remember my childhood, I remember listening to this song when I was five years old. It was a Jim Reeves Christmas song and it used to be played on a tape player almost every morning at my grandmother's house in New Delhi, India. I searched for Jim Reeves on YouTube.com and I found one of the songs I grew up with. The song brings back memories on how I use to play on swing, go down the slide, stare at Archie comics and be the greatest cricket player in the world. All those memories which are so precious to me and now I see my kids growing and and wonder what kind of memories will they have. I pray and hope that they remember that their parents were Godly parents who loved Christ and wanted to His will. As other parents read this blog entry, let us not forget that we teach our kids why we do certain things and not for tradition purposes. For example I hope my kids remember that our family went to church because we loved Christ and we remembered His death on the cross. My kids shouldn't have the notion that our family went to church because that is what our family did. When the meaning is lost, the act becomes a tradition. As you can see I am not into traditions but I do like traditions because they create wonderful memories just as Jim Reeves' song did in my life. Enjoy the song:

Comments

Sr. Fab said…
It's hard to believe that your grandmother in India played such an American sounding song every morning. It evokes images of a cowboy singing.

Popular posts from this blog

A Eulogy for my grandmother

Kashmiri memories

Looking Overseas and Beyond