Crossroads

As I sit down to write this blog, I am at a crossroads in my life. I have been offered a high level, good paying job to work for a US government agency. The position seems to be promising and it seems to offer the intellectual flexibility and creative latitude which I seem to crave since my current job doesn't offer much of that. To build context for this blog entry, let me explain what I do for a living. I am a software developer, a code monkey, a software hacker or, in old school talk, I am a Java programmer. I truly enjoy programming since it offers me a medium where I can be problem solver and I can pull on my creative and intellectual skills. However when I am asked to build software functionality on a poorly designed software system, it is not thrilling. In fact working with poor software sucks the energy out of you because you cannot clean up the code but rather build on it. Everyone on the software development agrees that the code can be cleaned up however contractual agreements and management decisions prohibit us from doing this.

As far as my employer is concerned, I enjoy working for them. They are a great company to work for. They have been good to me. However they don't have any projects which offer the intellectual flexibility and the creative latitude. The job I have been offered looks exciting and it offers job stability however I will have to move to Oklahoma City. I have lived in Oklahoma and I enjoyed my time there however if my family and I were to move there then we have the added stress of selling our house. We are also currently blessed with great neighbors. So here is how I break down the pros and cons of this crossroad:
  • Benefits of the OKC job
    • High level position
    • Good paying job
    • Intellectual flexibility
    • Creative latitude
    • Work I know I will enjoy
    • Shorter commute
    • Retirement benefits
    • Stable Job
    • Spend more time with my family
  • Drawbacks of the OKC job
    • Stresses of moving to OKC
    • Stresses of selling our current house
    • Miss our wonderful neighbors
    • Miss our current assembly family
    • Periodic travel
  • Benefits of my current job
    • Good paying job
    • Enjoy respect in the company
    • Work with J2EE technologies
    • Enjoy flexible hours
    • Don't have to sell my house
  • Drawbacks of my current job
    • Current commute to work
    • Intellectual frustration
    • Red tape in working with various aspects of the project
After praying and mediating on the Holy Bible, I am reminded of Abraham and his willingness to follow God at whatever cost. I am also reminded of Lot where he picks the "more" pleasing land however he got into trouble after moved into the "more" pleasing land. I was also reminded of the passages of Lot's wife who turns into a pillar of salt when she looks back even though she was instructed by God to not to look back. Please pray that the Lord might show His Will. Thanks!

Comments

Eric said…
You forgot to add the pro for staying here: lunch with Eric. Sounds like enough to stick around. Also... think there won't be any red-tape in the government?
Unknown said…
I was so glad to hear you might be moving to OKC. We will pray for the Lord to guide your family in this decision. My husband, our two kids and I live in OKC and go to Grace Gospel Chapel, so right now we are hoping the Lord leads you to move here.

Also, we enjoyed seeing your dad when he visited the chapel recently. We can't wait to meet your wife and children if you visit soon. We would love to have you all over at our house as we have plenty of room for the whole family! :o)
Sr. Fab said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sr. Fab said…
One more pro of staying. Your kids get to spend regular time with at least one grandparent-me! I can't believe I didn't make the list. I love seeing those three!
Enoch Moses said…
I didn't include any family related things in the list. Yes, you will be missed. It might take a while for us to move since we still have to fix the house and then sell it.

Popular posts from this blog

A Eulogy for my grandmother

Kashmiri memories

Looking Overseas and Beyond